spitzbergen-3
fb  Spitsbergen Panoramas - 360-degree panoramas  de  en  nb  Spitsbergen Shop  

Sorg­fjord: Eolus­ne­set

Eolus­ne­set

The cross to which Eolus­ne­set owes its name. It was erec­ted on June 06, 1855, by skip­per J. Holm­gren, Cap­tain of the scho­o­ner Æolus from Ber­gen. The ship was trap­ped in ice for some weeks, and then it is of cour­se always good to build a cross – you never know. In 1861, Æolus was the­re again, with the famous Swe­dish sci­en­tist Otto Tor­ell on board.

The gra­ve field not far from the cross is going much fur­ther back in histo­ry. It was used by wha­lers in the 17th and 18th cen­tu­ries, cer­tain­ly inclu­ding Dutch wha­lers, pos­si­bly also from other count­ries.

The nor­t­hern­most sea batt­le

Sorg­fjord was the site of the nor­t­hern­most sea batt­le ever: in 1693, three French war­ships brought up about 40 Dutch wha­ling ships in Sorg­fjord. After seve­ral hours of gun fire, 13 Dutch ships were cap­tu­red.

The trap­pers’ hut at Eolus­ne­set

The old trap­pers hut on the north side of Eolus­ne­set. Built in 1921 and repai­red in 1926 by the famous hun­ter Arthur Oxaas, it is now fal­ling apart. It has never been more than a shel­ter used only occa­sio­nal­ly during tra­ve­ling.

Back

BOOKS, CALENDAR, POSTCARDS AND MORE

This and other publishing products of the Spitsbergen publishing house in the Spitsbergen-Shop.

last modification: 2019-03-31 · copyright: Rolf Stange
css.php